Tuesday 8 January 2013

13 Little Blue Envelopes, Maureen Johnson

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson, reviewed by Eleanor

What's this book about?
Ginny Blackstone, a 17 year old girl, follows the instructions that she finds in envelopes left by her Aunt, which take her all over Europe.



Who should read this book?
This book is targeted at teen girls, I can't really see anyone else reading it.

How long is this book?
320 pages, an average sized book

Marks
Story Line: 6/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyablilty: 2/5
Overall: 12/20

Star Rating:
3 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
I would probably have to say Aunt Peg. I think she would have a lot of interesting stories to tell, having been all around Europe.

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
As annoying as some of the characters in this book were, I’m going to have to choose someone who is only mentioned in the book but who we don’t actually meet to throw tea at. Ginny Blackstone’s Mum. I mean, yes, it did make a good story and everything, but who actually lets their 17 year old daughter go on a trip around Europe with only a small backpack of belongings, no phone and a brown paper package filled with 12 unopened envelopes. It seems pretty risky to me, but then I’m not a parent, so what do I know?


Question 3. What do you think of the cover? 
It’s okay, not amazing. I prefer the edition with an envelope.

Question 4. What do you think of the title? Do you think there is an alternative?
I think that the title works. It’s catchy and not at all misleading –the book is about ‘13 Little Blue Envelopes.’

Question 5. Favourite quote!
“I’m Keith,” he said, “and you’re...clearly mad, but what’s your name?”

 
Overall:
I did generally enjoy this book. I thought that Ginny’s journey was quite interesting and I love the idea of going on a road trip of some sort, with absolutely no clue as to where you’re going to end up at. The blurb of this book speaks of a meeting with a guy called Keith, posing the question “But will she ever see him again?” and my main problem with the story was that I wasn’t really bothered as to whether they would be 'romantically reunited'. Sorry, but I just didn't care. Other than that, the book was alright, and I was kept engaged by my curiosity as to what would be found in the 13th and final envelope.
 
What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment