Tuesday 29 January 2013

Fracture, Megan Miranda

Fracture by Megan Miranda, reviewed by Eleanor

What is this book about?
Delaney Maxwell falls through the ice on a frozen lake, and is underwater for eleven minutes before being pulled out. Her heart stops beating, her brain stops working. She's clinically dead. Yet she wakes up.
Although everyone wants Delaney to be okay, she knows that she is no longer normal -as she finds herself drawn to those who are dying. But is her altered brain now predicting death, or could it be causing it?
Who should read this book?
This is a young adult book

How long is this book?
265 pages, an average sized book

Marks
Story Line: 6/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyability: 3/5
Overall: 13/20

Star Rating:
3 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
Decker. He's Delaney's best friend, the one who saves her life by pulling her out of the lake and giving her CPR. He's just so sweet and I loved how he was always there for Delaney, even when they'd had an argument.

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Troy, who can also sense death, is really quite a scary character. Although he's just trying to help Delaney, and he feels punished by his ability, his perspective is really sinister and his tendency to always be where Delaney is is just really creepy. I'd tell him to back off..and then I'd throw tea at him.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
It's a pretty title page, I like the reflection underneath the title and the scene in the background is nice.

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?
Fracture is a good title. I like how it has other subtle meanings and isn't just a reference to what the ice did when Delaney stepped on it.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
'The first time I died, I didn't see God. No light at the end of the tunnel. No haloed angels. No dead grandparents...Not even an endless darkness. Nothing.'

Overall:
This was a good debut novel, with a clever story idea -with the whole 'sensing death' thing, and it brought up some interesting topics e.g. the meaning of life and death, etc... but I didn't really like the characters and I found it all a little anti-climatic as I couldn't really see where the story was going and when I reached the end it didn't seem concluded. (Okay, I just google searched it and there may be a sequel, so I guess the lack of an explanation as to why she's so 'drawn to death' is acceptable) This book was still a good read though, and I will definitely be tempted to read the next one.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment