Tuesday 26 February 2013

Dead Beautiful, Yvonne Woon

Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon, reviewed by Eleanor

What is this book about?
'Coming from sunny California, the mist-shrouded Academy was a shock, with its strange customs, ancient curriculum and study of Latin - the language of the dead. Then I discovered that the school has more than one dark secret... I also discovered Dante. Intelligent, elusive and devastatingly gorgeous, most people can't decide whether they love, hate or fear him. All I know is that when we're together, I've never felt more alive - or more afraid.'

Who should read this book?
This is a Young Adult book, which could probably be read by adults and younger teens too. Having said that, it was a little scary in places (for Bronte and Me!)

How long is this book?
506 pages, quite a long book.

Marks
Story Line: 9/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyablilty: 4/5
Overall: 17/20

Star Rating:
4 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
Dante. Dante. Dante. Now that I am reviewing this book, I am beginning to slightly regret not putting Dante as one of my book boyfriends because he's so nice and good looking and he can speak Latin, which is cool.

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Renée's Grandfather. I know that, obviously, it makes for a good story to not have all the secrets told in chapter one however I did feel as though Renée's Grandfather kept her in the dark for just a little bit too long.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
I don't mind this cover. But, although I'm not quite as extreme as Izzy with her burning hatred of photo-title-pages, I really don't like covers which have photos where you can see peoples' eyes clearly. That sounds weird -I'm not actually scared of eyes.

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?
I like the title of this book, it's relevant to the story and I cannot really think of an alternative.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
“In love, everyone does things that hurt the other person, so there really is no "Right" and "Wrong". You just have to decide what you're willing to forgive”

Overall:
I really liked this book. I don't want to give too much of the storyline away though, because one of the main things that I loved about it was how surprised I was by some parts of the plot. And it was for this reason that I found myself unable to put it down. I read this book on my Kindle so, as soon as I finished reading Dead Beautiful, I could download the second book in the series, Life Eternal, straightaway. Hooray for Kindles!

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment