Tuesday 19 February 2013

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?

In this futuristic world, at the age of 16 everyone is made pretty. This means that everything is equal, which results in no more wars, arguments or unhappiness. The world of the Pretties is perfect. Tally can't wait. But her friend, Shay, realises that the operation doesn't just make you Pretty, and she would rather escape to somewhere you stay individual. Tally is given a choice, either find her friend and turn her into the "police," or never turn Pretty at all.

Who should read this book?

Like so many dystopian novels, Uglies is aimed at teenagers. Yet, like dystopians, Uglies isn't rude and contains no swearing but has a plot which can be enjoyed (and admired) by adults.

How long is this book?

425 pages an average to long book.

Marks

Story Line:   8/10
Well written:    3/5
Enjoyability:   3/5
Overall:  14/20

Star Rating: 3 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?

Definitely Dr Cable. I mean, it would be the most terrifying experience of my life, yet she's so evil in a totally awe inspiring way. You get the feeling, she truly believes she is doing the right thing as well which is interesting and a brilliant development by Westerfeld.

Uglies (Uglies, #1)Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?

Tally. While screaming, "GET SOME PERSONALITY PLEASE." Westerfeld created such awesome characters in David and Shay that Tally sort of faded into the background, when it was her story. I hope her character is developed for the rest of the books

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?

I think it's eye-catching. I want to hug Westerfeld that he didn't put a photo on the front. I'm sorry, I just don't deal well with photos on covers. It bothers me way too much. ANYWAY, Westerfeld appeased me with this cover and I'm a big fan.

Question 4. What do you think of the title?

I like the title. It's short and to the point, and sets him up for the next three in the series. Yet I think the competition of dystopion novels is fierce and for me titles such as, "Divergent," and "The Hunger Games," just make me slightly more interested.

Question 5. Favourite quote!

"What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful."

Overall:

I cannot fault Westerfeld in the originality of his ideas. As an aspiring authors of sorts the idea behind this book made me seething with envy, and green is not my colour. Lovers of dystopian will adore this book with every fibre of their being. I, as I've made very clear, am not the biggest dystopian fan, and as I often find, I thought the main character was underdeveloped. However, Westerfeld managed to make this better by having very interesting secondary characters. If you love dystopian, read this book, and even if you don't, I'd say read it. It makes you realise the importance of the complete originality of your being.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I had heard a lot about "Uglies" and was told if you like "The Hunger Games" (which I do) you would like this but, meh. I couldn't agree more about the underdeveloped main character! I love the concept and the world and it is thought provoking but geez would it hurt for Tally to have some conviction, passion or anything lol. All the way through I mainly kept thinking if she died I wouldn't care lol. It's like he had written a back story for everything even other characters but neglected to for Tally. Its almost like he wrote about the world and then shoved some characters in there because he had to lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is EXACTLY what I was saying! YES! The idea is pure brilliance and I am so jealous of the idea but Tally? Couldn't be more dull...

      Delete