Thursday 7 March 2013

Just One Day, Gayle Forman

Just One Day by Gayle Forman, reviewed by Bronte

What is this book about?

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Who should read this book?

This book is a young adult book and really I think that anyone could enjoy it. Age range of about 11 and above.

How long is this book?

368 pages, a average sized book.

Marks
Story Line: 8/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyablilty: 3/5
Overall: 15/20

Star Rating:
4 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?

This is a close call between Wren and Dee because I love them both, but, I would most like to have tea with would be Wren. Although she is a minor character and only really in the end of the book I feel that she is friendly and would just be really easy to be around and talk to. I also feel that we would have a lot to talk about because she is a little weird, but in a good way. Weird people are often the coolest.

Just One Day (Just One Day, #1)Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?

Her Mum. That one is easy. She is controlling and trying to make her daughter live the life that she wanted herself and I don't like people that do that. Its unfair and self centered. However I do praise the Mum at the end but really I would still want to waste a cuppa by throwing it over her.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?

I don't really like this cover. Yes she is on a train and that relates to the story but it has no wow factor. Nothing makes me want to read this book from the look of the cover. It's not bad, don't get my wrong, I wouldn't want to throw tea at the cover, but there is just nothing about it thats amazing.

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?

I think its a good title and it sets its self up for the next in the series. I also think that, unlike the cover, it is intriguing, what could happen in 'Just One Day'?

Question 5. Favourite quote!

'We are born in one day. We die in one day. We can change in one day. And we can fall in love in one day. Anything can happen in just one day.' - Cute :)

Overall:

Overall a good read. Not amazing, I think some things could have happened and other things changed that would have made to make this a better read. Personally I only read this book because I loved Gayle Formans 'If I Stay' and 'Where She Went' and if I'm honest I prefered those, but that is only because they were fantastic. But I would still recommend this book to anyone really.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment