Saturday 16 March 2013

Why We Broke Up, Daniel Handler

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?
This book is the story of Ed and Min who fell in love and then broke up. But why did they break up? Min leaves Ed a box of artifacts from their relationship, and meanwhile tells us the story of their break up.

Who should read this book?
Anyone, though I'd say it was a 12+.

How long is this book?
About 350 pages, but the writing is big and there are pictures so it's not a long book.

Marks
Story Line:  7/10
Well written:  4/5
Enjoyablilty:  3/5
Overall:  14/20

Star Rating: 3 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
Min is so smart and witty. She's that girl you read about and wish you were because most of her one liners are hilarious. Plus she knows exactly the best way to get revenge on a boy. It may seem slightly melodramatic to give a boy a box of their relationship, but I wish I had the balls to do it, don't you?

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Annette. She's a horrible, catty bitch. Is that bad? I think this blog is supposed to be a bit PG, but you have no idea how much I hate her.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
It's really nice. I like drawings on the cover. Plus it's not a photo on the cover. THREE CHEERS FOR DAVID AND MOIRA.

Question 4. What do you think of the title?
I like Why We Broke Up, as it's (obviously) a theme repeated throughout the book which I like, though it does constantly remind you that these two are not getting back together which I think is sad because at the beginning you love them as a couple. She's obviously been taking some lessons from Taylor Swift haha.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
“I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing this letter, the whole truth of why it happened. And the truth is that I goddamn loved you so much.” 

Overall: 
I loved David Handler's writing, the short, snappy sentences reminding me a bit of John Green in Looking for Alaska. I thought the pictures really did add something quite special to the book, and added to the experience, especially since I haven't had pictures in a book for awhile. The ending wasn't quite as tied together as I would have liked, or wasn't quite as neat as normal Young Adult. It didn't have any wow factor for me, but I definitely liked the writing style.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

2 comments:

  1. This has been one of those books that I always see when I go to the library, always consider, but never check out. I think I might just check it out next time.

    And books to review... How about "How to Ditch Your Fairy" by Justine Larbalestier? I was just going through my bookshelf today, and I reread the first few chapters of it, and I'm curious about other people's thoughts on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jovi! Sorry it took me so long to write back, I only just discovered your comment. (I'm a really good blogger I swear). Since it's been such a long time have you checked it out? What did you think?- Izzy xx

      Delete