Saturday 20 April 2013

Ketchup Clouds, Annabel Pitcher

Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?

Fifteen-year-old Zoe has a secret—a dark and terrible secret that she can't confess to anyone she knows. But then one day she hears of a criminal, Stuart Harris, locked up on death row in Texas. Like Zoe, Stuart is no stranger to secrets. Or lies. Or murder. Who should read this book?
A bit more adult than Pitcher's previous novel this probably would have a 12+ rating on it. There are some quite adult themes, while still being written in an easy, readable way.

How long is this book?
304 pages, an average sized book.

Marks
Story Line: 8 /10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyablilty: 4/5
Overall: 16/20

Star Rating: 4 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?

Aaron. Aaron. Aaron. He is so obviously the definite best. Aaron. Aaron. Aaron. (I'm considering changing my book boyfriend list.)
Ketchup Clouds
Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?

"Zoe" because you're hoping all the way through it turns out to be one mistake. Just a big misunderstanding. You know, "Ho ho ho, you thought I killed someone. Ho ho ho. Ha ha ha." That does not happen. I'm not giving you spoilers here, what Pitcher tells you on the blurb is correct. Which makes you want to throw tea at Zoe (or Pitcher depending on how angry you're feeling.)

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?

Yeah. It's okay. I'm a fan. It's not a beautiful work of art, but the book is so good, it really doesn't matter.

Question 4. What do you think of the title?

I like the title. I think it's very effective and I've been wanting to read the book for quite awhile. However I think the title "My Sister Lives on The Mantelpiece,"was even better,

Question 5. Favourite quote!

“Let's pretend for just one moment that could actually happen. You close your eyes and I'll close mine and let's dream the same dream across the Atlantic, lighting up the darkness between us. Can you see it, Stu? Can you see us up there, shining in all the black?” 

Overall: This book is not just any children's book. Annabel Pitcher is not just any old kid's writer. I'm hoping that one day she's be a massive writer because her talent deserves to be read. She has had a best-selling novel over here but I don't know if she's big in America or what. I say read this book. It's not perfect, and it may not have the ending you want, or be as romantic as you're hoping. But what do you have to lose? I loved it, I hope you love it too.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this book and I completely agree with you. ZOE DESERVES SOME TEA IN HER FACE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. Glad you enjoyed the review! And argh- still agree on the throwing of tea. - Izzy xx

      Delete