Wednesday 22 May 2013

Starcrossed, Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini, reviewed by Bronte

What is this book about?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Who should read this book?

Someone who likes a good love story, mythology particulary Greek and suspence. If you don't like reading into the early hours of the morning, don't read this book!

How long is this book?

501 pages.

Marks
Story Line: 9/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyabililty: 5/5
Overall: 18/20

Star Rating:

5 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?

Lucas. We would have tea in the sky, soaring over the roof tops, maybe have a bagel in New York and visit Athens while we are at it. Is that a breach to the rules, doing more than just having tea with him. He is also lovely, kind, smart and just seems like great company to have. This seems to predictable though so I wouldn't mind having tea with Kate, we both love baking so maybe she can give me some tips!

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?

Daphne, just because she abandoned her daughter.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?

I love this cover so much! The colours are just amazing, and its different, I think, from what you would expect the book to be about.

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?

I'm not sure that there is an alternative that would be as good as this one because it works so well. However remember if you search for it, it is Starcrossed with no space, unlike many, many other books!

Question 5. Favourite quote!

“So, what can't you take? Decide which of the two options is harder, and do the other. That way, no matter how hard your choice turns out to be, at least you can find comfort in knowing you're avoiding something even worse.”

Overall:

I really really like this book. It is one of my favourite ever just because I love, LOVE Greek mythology! The story line is as close as it could get to the actual myths (because I have a kindle I can look up the names and it tells me all about them, or any other Greek item or something). I also love the story line, how it keeps you turning the pages in to the early hours because you need to know what is going to happen. It keeps you thinking and its almost impossible to come to a conclusion on what you think will happen in the end. The character are just great. Josephine Angelini did such a great job I think, not many books have over 8, what I would consider main characters, but I still felt I knew so much about each of them. However I did read the whole book thinking Helen was dark haired only to discover her hair was blond towards the end...my mistake.
I know that lots of people don't like this book because I have read other reviews however I fail to see why. It is well written, the plot twists and turns and leaves you wanting more, the characters are fantastically written and are all individual which makes it a really good book.
I have just recently re-read this series for when Goddess comes out, so expect reviews coming up for them soon! Unfortunatly, the books still left me turning the pages so I have to wait another 6 days, ontop of the 11 months I have already waited! THANK YOU for writing this book!

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment