Saturday 25 May 2013

This Is What Happy Looks Like, Jennifer E. Smith

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith reviewed by Izzy

SORRY THIS IS REVIEW HAS TAKEN ME SO LONG. I am so, so sorry. Exam stress is definitely getting the better of me.  We love you all and appreciate every single pageview we get.

What is this book about?
 When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?


Who should read this book?

Fans of Sarah Dessen and Stephanie Perkins will love this book. Also any fangirls who really want to go out with a member of One Direction, or if you're a little less mainstream like me and go for Logan Lerman, you have to read this! It does get your hopes up though, like you could actually end up with someone with a superstar. (I'm just kidding, you will all marry one of One Direction I'm sure.)

How long is this book?
 404 pages

Marks
Story Line:  8/10
Well written:  4/5
Enjoyabililty:  5/5
Overall:   17/20

Star Rating:

4 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
 I think Ellie and I would get along like a house on fire. Plus she works at an ice cream shop, which even though I'm lactose intolerant, appeals to the greedy animal that lives inside of me.

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
 Ellie's dad. I know it's not his fault, what happens, but I want to actually kill him. When reading the book I was like, "NO. NO. NO. Oh gawd, you jerk." I said it just like that. In my room. Alone. I have an AMAZING social life.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
 Aw guys Jennifer knows how to make me very happy. Is there a photo? Nope. Is there a drawing? Yes. Yes there is. I like it even more than TSPOLAFS cover, and guys, I liked that cover. I think since Smith is a nerdfighter she knows how to make me happy. Drawings as covers please me.

Question 4. What do you think of the title?
 I like the title. I really, really like the title. I love the way it is integrated into the story. I just don't like it quite as much as "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight." However, I prefer the cover of this one so swings and roundabouts.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
He waved this away. "I'd have to come to rescue you," he told her. "I might not have a white horse, but I do have a very portly pig."
"How romantic," Ellie said.”

Overall: I love how Smith writes. 3rd person is my favourite kind of writing, and she understands how to make teenage girls squeal. I like the characters even more than in The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, probably because there is more time to get to know them, and love them. For me, this is her best book so far.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

2 comments:

  1. I loved This Is What Happy Looks Like, and I recommend that you read it if you want to smile, laugh, and fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was really great. I couldn't stop reading it! The storyline/plot was so cute and attracting. Jennifer E. Smith hits a home run with this book in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete