Sunday 9 June 2013

Dying to Know You, Aidan Chambers

Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?
Karl, aged seventeen, is hopelessly in love. But the object of his affections, Fiorella, demands proof, and poses him a series of questions regarding his attitude to the many sides of love. But Karl is dyslexic, and convinced that if Fiorella finds out, she will think he is stupid, and unworthy of her, and leave him.

So Karl asks a local writer to help him construct his replies - and an unlikely, but extremely touching, friendship develops between the two men. They both come to learn a great deal about about life from a very different perspective, and when an act of violence shatters their calm, they find their respective appraisal of life shifting in profound ways (Goodreads)


Who should read this book?
I found it in the "Teen Fiction" section of the Waterstones I was in however I think adults could read this book as well.

How long is this book?
288 pages

Marks
Story Line:  7/10
Well written:  4/5
Enjoyablilty:  3/5
Overall:   14/20

Star Rating: 3 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?

Karl. Mostly because he's such a sweetheart in the books and I just want to hug him whenever he says anything.
Dying to Know You
Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?

Fiorella. My gosh this girl bugs me for the entirity of the novel. I think Chambers wants me to find her annoying but her character hit a really raw nerve with me, mostly becuse she reminded me of me at my most annoying and pretentious.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?

I did not get it at first, but one your half way through the novel you realise why the cover s important and relevant. I like how simple it is, and it caught my eye among the jungle of books in the teen section.

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?

I may be wrong but I think this is a Fiorella quote (Dying to Know You) which puts me off it a bit. It makes sense, but I think something to do with art would have been more appropriate and different to other books.

Question 5. Favourite quote! 

"You remember that experiment with iron filings and a magnet the science teacher did at school when you were of an age still easy to amaze? You remember the iron filings, which where scattered like a mess of dust on a sheet of paper suddenly formed into clean strong patterns when the magnet was placed in the middle of the mess...?

Overall: I really enjoyed this book, the writing was beautiful. However I felt like the climax came a bit early and from there on out it was just a downwards spiral. Not to say this book wasn't enjoyable, it was. However I much preferred Chambers work in "This Is All: The Pillow Book Of Cordelia Kenn," which is truly one of the most beautiful pieces of writing I have ever had the fortune of reading.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

2 comments:

  1. Have you read his short story/flash fiction collection, The Kissing Game? It's a bit hit and miss, but definitely worth checking out!

    PS I think you need to sort out your comment system as I no longer blog under this account but had to sign in in order to post the comment. Maybe that's why there aren't many?

    --Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of it but I will check it out! Thanks!

      PS Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look :)

      ~Bronte

      Delete