Tuesday 4 June 2013

The Moon and More, Sarah Dessen


The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?

Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going? (Goodreads)


Who should read this book?

Obviously Sarah Dessen fans of which there are millions. Also people who enjoy Ann Brashares and Stephanie Perkins will love this light hearted summer read.

How long is this book?

435 pages

Marks
Story Line:   7/10
Well written:   4/5
Enjoyability:   4/5
Overall:  15/20

Star Rating: 4 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?

Emaline's kid brother Benji is adorable. I've never had any younger siblings, both my brothers are older than me, so I always find little kid characters in books...I want to say appealing but I'm worried I may get arrested. Not appealing, but they have a soft spot in my heart? Still not quite right, but you catch my drift. Also we probably wouldn't drink tea because no 10 year old wants to do that.


Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?

Annoyingly I can't give my honest opinion here as it will ruin the story for anyone about to read it. However I will give some hints. This person was pretentious, annoying and seemed to have a lack of understanding on people in general. I would also throw tea at Emaline's father if I had any spare because when he was mean to Benji I was so angry.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?

Meh. I got the one with the girl on the front because I pre-ordered. Anyway it's fine. What I find interesting is usually in the UK we get different sort of covers with cute drawings on the front which I love! Although I can't seem to find one right now, if I do come across a cover like that I will definitely notify you all!

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?

I think I probably the other two titles Sarah Dessen was planning which was The Best Ever After and Someone Else's Summer. Still, I really like "The Moon and More," and I always think Sarah Dessen picks great titles.

Question 5. Favourite quote!

  “The truth was, there was no way everything could be the Best. Sometimes, when it came to events and people, it had to be okay to just be.”

 Overall: Sarah Dessen is yet to disappoint me in any of her novels so far. Although it still doesn't beat Along For The Ride or Just Listen for me it is definitely competing with The Truth About Forever for third spot. I loved the Theo vs Luke aspect and I definitely know which boy I prefer. As always reappearances always make me happy especially when we get people from Along For The Ride in there. As much as I love Colby I'm desperate for another Jackson High or Perkins Day (I think those are the names) book next. Whatever Sarah Dessen does though I am safe in the assurance I will love it.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next? Also if you write a book blog please leave your link in the desciption box below!

No comments:

Post a Comment