Sunday 14 July 2013

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece, Annabel Pitcher

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher, reviewed by Eleanor

What is this book about?
Ten-year-old Jamie hasn't cried since it happened. He knows he should have - Jasmine cried, Mum cried, Dad still cries. Roger didn't, but then he is just a cat and didn't know Rose that well, really.
Five years on, it's worse than ever: Dad drinks, Mum's gone and Jamie's left with questions that he must answer for himself. blurb

Who should read this book?
This book can be read by children as well as adults because, despite a quite grown up theme, it is funny and relatable to readers who are just entering the YA bracket.

How long is this book?
221 pages, a fairly short book

Marks
Story Line: 7/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyability: 3/5
Overall: 14/20

Star Rating:
3 stars

Question 1. Which character would you most likely to have tea with?
Sunya was definitely my favourite character. It's always nice when you find a child (even if she's fictional) who doesn't care what others think of her.

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Probably Jamie's Mum, although I can't say why because I don't want to ruin the plot.


Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
I quite like the cover of this book on the edition that I read. I like the drawing of the girl, even though I'm not exactly sure what she is supposed to represent (I'm guessing the dead sister, Rose, but I'm not certain) And I like that the title and cover fit nicely together.

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?
I really like long titles (just as I like one-worded titles) and so love this one. It really does make you stop and pick it off the shelf, simply because the title is so different and eye catching.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
“In fact she was quite bad and according to Jas she was naughty at school, but no one seems to remember that now she is all dead and perfect.”

Overall: I enjoyed this book because it was something a bit different. The narrator is lovable and explains things in a way that really emphasises his feelings towards what is taking place in the novel. The book is emotional and brings up some quite controversial themes yet it will be able to reach a much younger audience, which just adds to the cleverness of the book.

What did you think of this book? What's your book blog called? (If you have one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment