Tuesday 16 July 2013

Revolution, Jennifer Donnelly

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly, reviewed by Eleanor

What is this book about?
Andi lives in present-day New York and is dealing with the aftermath of her brother's accidental death.
Alexandrine lives in Paris and is desperately trying to save a young boy from the ravages of the French Revolution.
Their paths collide as Andi unlocks a route to the past which might just hold the key to reconciling herself to her own history -and her future blurb

Who should read this book?
14+ historical fiction novel

How long is this book?
471 pages

Marks
Story Line: 7/10
Well written: 3/5
Enjoyabililty: 3/5
Overall: 13/20

Star Rating:
3 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
Virgil, I want him to sing to me like he sings to Andi

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Louis XVI's cousin -the Duke of Orléans, just because (am I allowed to say that, seem as he was a real person and all?!!!)

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
It's a nice cover I like how it's mysterious at first until you learn about where this key came from. (I also love the little sparrow on the back cover!)

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?
I don't think the title is all that great, although the novel is based on the French Revolution I still don't think it really fits.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
"When you can write music that endures, bravo. Until then, keep quiet and study the work of those who can"

Overall: This book took me quite a long time to read and this wasn't at all because it wasn't good but just because I could tell how much research had been put into the book and I was determined not to skim over a single detail of it. The book is engaging and although I don't know much about the music the character's in the book like so much, it doesn't matter because Andi's love for music is so strong that I forgot I'd never properly heard any of the songs! The story line is well put together and the 'twist' at the end is good. I haven't given this book any more than 13 out of 20 because it was quite hard to read, however I really like Donnelly's style of writing and definitely recommend this book along with one of the author's other novels, A Gathering Light (A Northern Light)

Did you enjoy this book?

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all-time favourite novels. I didn't find it difficult to read at all - the subject matter, perhaps, but not the prose style or complexity. An absolute treasure.

    ReplyDelete