Wednesday 14 August 2013

The Fallen Star, Jessica Sorensen

The Fallen Star (Fallen Star #1) by Jessica Sorensen, reviewed by Bronte

What is this book about?

For eighteen year-old Gemma, life has never been normal. Up until recently, she has been incapable of feeling emotion. And when she's around Alex, the gorgeous new guy at school, she can feel electricity that makes her skin buzz. Not to mention the monsters that haunt her nightmares have crossed over into real-life. But with Alex seeming to hate her and secrets popping up everywhere, Gemma's life is turning into a chaotic mess. Things that shouldn't be real suddenly seem to exist. And as her world falls apart, figuring out the secrets of her past becomes a matter of life and death.

Who should read this book?

I think anyone 12+ can read this book and enjoy it. I think anyone over 20 would find it a little unrealistic, but then it is fantasy. But even for a fantasy book sometimes I still found my self saying 'reeeaally?'

How long is this book?
449 pages, an average size

Marks:
Story Line: 7/10
Well written: 3/5
Enjoyabililty: 4/5
Overall: 14/20

Star Rating: 3 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
Laylen! Because he seemed lovely for the small part of the book that he was in, I wish he was in more. He probably has a lot of interesting stories to tell and he is really funny. However I don't think he drinks tea because he is a vampire.
The Fallen Star (Fallen Star, #1)
Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Well the obvious answer here is Stephan because of who he is, what he is planning and what he does. However I have to consider Sophia and Marco because although they were protecting Gemma, who could possible just blank out someone for 14 years! But then there is Alex who's personality changes like the wind, and he is often mean to Gemma for no reason other than the fact she doesn't understand. I'm pretty undecided on this question.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
I think the cover is really cool. How its all white and then the startling violet colour of her eye is boldly put in the centre.

 Question 4a. Can you read the tea leaves from the beginning or are there twist in the plot?
To be perfectly honest I figured out what was going on quite early in the book, I often questioned how naïve Gemma could get; but maybe if I was in the situation I would struggle to see what was, quite frankly, under her nose. Or maybe I'm just super duper clever in solving the puzzle. Comments to anyone who has read the book, did you figure it out, or am I a detective in the making?

Question 5. Favourite quote!

'I was in love with the lyrics, the rhythm, and the way it could sweep me away to another world.'

Overall: Overall I enjoyed this book. I mean yes, I practically figured it out quite early on and with more and more facts coming out throughout I had to question realistically if Gemma seriously could not see what was happening. However I thought this book was different and the characters well thought out. I would have like to see more of Aislin and Laylen because I liked them. I can see why people would dislike this book, but I can also see how for some people this book is the bee's knees. For me its neither, but I will be reading the sequel.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

1 comment:

  1. It was such a great book and I'm not much of a reader and when I started reading the very first page I already loved the book I suggest this book if u don't get it your missing out on a really good book and I can't wait to read the other ones.
    Carpet Repair Seattle website

    ReplyDelete