Wednesday 15 January 2014

Classic Corner: The French Lieutenants Woman

The French Lieutenants Woman by John Fowels, reviewed by Bronte


56034Author: Website
Publisher: Vintage
Pages: 448
Buy this book: Amazon
Rating: 2 Stars
What is this book about?

In this contemporary, Victorian-style novel Charles Smithson, a nineteenth-century gentleman with glimmerings of twentieth-century perceptions, falls in love with enigmatic Sarah Woodruff, who has been jilted by a French lover.

Who should read this book?

People who like love stories and who enjoy Victorian Classics. 15+

1. Would you like to have tea with the protagonist?
No, probably not.

2. Would you fall for the main love interest?
Charles? I don't think so.

3. Would you want to strain the main antagonist?
Yes.

4. Were the characters three dimensional?
Yes, I think so.

5. Would you like to have tea in a cafe in Victorian England?
Yes in Victorian England, but not so much in Lyme.

6. Do you like this authors flavour of writing?
It is very unusual and a bit odd, but I would say that I did enjoy it.

7. Was this writing strong or weak?
Strong.

8. Was the ending to your taste?
The first one, yes.

9. If this cover were tea, would you drink it?
No.

10. Favourite Quote?

'I am infinitely strange to myself'

Overview:

I only read this book because I had to, for school. If it hadn't of been for school there is no way I would have picked up this book, actually I had never even heard of it before. But, on reflection, it wasn't that bad. I mean, I always have this prejudice idea that all books written before the turn of the century are boring and written in a confusing way that I struggle to understand. But I didn't mind this book, I understood it, liked some of the characters and the unusual writing of the author, however I don't think I could go as far as saying it was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment