Saturday 26 July 2014

The Fairytale Survey Part 2

Found this new feature on The Daily Prophecy and thought it looked PRETTY cool. Eleanor took on Part 1 so here is Bronte and Izzy's Part 2....Mix and Match

Aladdin – The poor boy who found a genie.What is the latest book treasure/gem you found?


Izzy: I just re-read A Catcher in the Rye. I read it for the first time when I was 13 and didn't really "get" it. After a re-read at 17, I'm absolutely obsessed.

Bronte: I'm going to cheat and say that the latest gem I have found is actually an author: Tiffany Schmidt. I think although her story lines can sometimes be a little limited, the way she writes just draws you in. Her writing is so easy to engage with and I like that!

Alice in Wonderland – The girl who fell through a rabbit’s hole. Which book made you really feel like you landed in another world?


Izzy: SUCH an obvious cliché but Harry Potter. Rowling really adds detail from the money to the sports that you really are transported to another world when it comes to the Wizarding World.

Bronte: I would say the Starcrossed trilogy by Josephine Angelini. I love the way that this novel completely parallels the human world, yet there lives are so different. Greek mythology is so captivating that I feel completely transported into Helens new world.

East of the sun and west of the moon – where a girl embarks on a journey to save her love.Who is one of your favorite kick-ass heroines?


Izzy: (trying to think of a non-cliché answer) Sara Crewe from "A Little Princess." What makes her kick-ass? She makes the best of her situation and is continually optimistic. She's starving, but she gives her loaf of bread to someone hungrier. If that's not kick ass I don't know what is.

Bronte: I am going to go with Lou Clark from Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. She is so brave and fearless in a way that I never could be. She just gets on and does what she has to do, even though it may not be the best thing for her - thats a really redeeming quality that makes her a kick-ass heroine.

The Frog Prince – where an enchanted prince becomes human again.What is a book you thought you would hate, but end up loving?

Izzy: I haven't finished it yet, but Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read.

Bronte: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I only read this book because I had to for school - I would never have picked it up otherwise. I found it captivating and really enjoyable, probably because it was so different and addressed issues not commonly written.

Hansel and Gretel – left alone in the woods and captured by a witch.Which duo (sister/sister, brother/sister) is your favorite and why?

Izzy:  There are so many that I want to mention. Beth and Jo from Little Women, The Weasley Twins and Dante and Adam from Boys Don't Cry. However I have to go with a classic, Scout and Jem from To Kill a Mockingbird. I love their relationship in the novel.

Bronte: The Weasley Brothers!! First and for most the twin, because they are hilarious but also the whole family because they are amazing - just take that scene from the Quiddich World Cup!

Little Red Riding Hood – almost eaten by a wolf dressed as her grandmother.
What book disappointed you after falling in love with the cover and blurb?


Izzy: Every Day by David Levithan. Plus I loved Levithan and think he is a hilarious author but this novel just disappointed me. The characters lacked a certain warmth.

Bronte: Paper Towns by John Green. I've said it before: I found this book slow compared to other John Green book - especially when measured against his other novels.

Rumpelstilskin – nobody knows his name.

Which book do you love that doesn’t get enough attention?

Izzy: The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson. I read Crow Lake and Road's End and they were good but neither quite reached her second book which was out-of-this-world amazing. 

Bronte: All books by Amanda Hocking. I think that her writing is amazing and her stories so different and special compared to the cliché dystopian YA literature we have become accustomed too.


No comments:

Post a Comment